Meet Your Guide
Greetings from the beautiful island of Maui, Hawai’i, Polynesia! Thank you for the kind support you have shown for Open Eye Tours LLC through the years. My name is Pono Fried, and it’s a pleasure sharing some of the story of my private guide business with you.
Click here to read the story of how I was given my Hawaiian name.
Active as a teacher with a Master’s degree in Education and as a life-long student of Hawaiian Language and Culture, I feel I’m on the cutting edge of custom-designed tours and eco-tourism. Since leading my first Elder Hostel Maui tours in 1983, I’ve fully committed myself to guiding you to the island’s finest places, providing a quality experience to be remembered.
Let me share a broad knowledge of the vibrant Hawaiian culture- her language, history, chants, legends, music, natural environment, people, ethno-botany, food, hands-on activities & more- relating to you, & adding meaning to your unique experience. I’ll instill some of the sense of place and spirit that endures of Pre-Contact Hawai’i, and the rich, abundant culture, still very much alive today.
I am especially pleased with my comprehensive website, illustrating some of the kinds of sights and experiences Maui offers. Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your anticipated dates, and I will be glad to help you plan your special day.
My philosophy is simple. I don’t offer any tourist-type tour. Never has a day with one client been repeated exactly like another. You hire me as your very own private guide for the day; EXCLUSIVELY, WITHOUT STRANGERS.
I have found that with no one else distracting your ideal program, more of your needs are met. As part of the service, I consult with each customer before embarking on the adventure, assessing your needs and vision of what your special day might be like.
I tell you to imagine you had your very own guide showing you THE BEST of the island, and to tell me what that should include for you to be satisfied. You tell me the kinds of things you like to see and do that make you happy. Then I suggest the kinds of places and activities you might enjoy. Your input will help make your day special and memorable.
- Maui tour guide since 1983
- P.U.C. License Number 4870-C, Commercial Auto Insurance, Commercial Liability Insurance, Harbor Permit
- First Aid, CPR and AED Certified and always current
- Hawaiian Studies/Hawaiian Culture teacher at public and private schools on Maui, including Kamehameha Schools, Halau Hula Kauluokala, and Pa’ia School
- Language skills: fluent in French, conversational Spanish, Hawaiian, familiarity with Japanese
- French, Spanish or ESL teacher at Seabury Hall, Hawai’i Preparatory Academy, Kamehameha Schools, King Kekaulike, Maui Community College, Hui Malama Learning Center
- Represented in the following Tour & Travel books: Alaska Airlines, Moon Maui with Moloka’i and Lana’i, Hidden Maui, Hawaii with Kids, Travel and Leisure, Paradise Family Guides – Maui, Ferrari’s Guides and Inn Places
- Certificate, Pacific Island Studies, University of Hawai’i
- Elder Hostel Maui tour guide
- Hawai’i Nature Center, volunteer environmental educator
- M.A. from New York University
- B.A. from Wesleyan University
- Open Eye Tours & Photos owner/guide
- Photography published in magazines, calendars, and books
- PADI certified SCUBA instructor
Ready to schedule your memorable day in Maui? I will work with you to create a custom, unique, one of a kind private tour experience
Makawao, HI 96768 USA
(808) 572- F.or G.reat T.ours D.aily